Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Movie Experience

Dear Jack,

Technically you have already seen your first theater movie. It was Tangled and while I am doing everything I can to help you grow into the type of boy who doesn't care that his first movie was a "girl" movie, I am also fairly sure, given your love of cars and trucks and things that go, that Cars 2 will be more memorable for you.

You did enjoy the movie quite a bit. We went with the Shelby's and you and Jaxon both liked the popcorn and the drinks. You both liked the way the seat popped up and down. You liked the first five to ten minutes of the movie and then, your attention span exhausted, you liked running up and down the side aisle.

To be fair, the movie recaptured your attention several times, but the story line was too complex even for your sister, and you are only two. I think when you are older, though, you are going to love this movie and be glad we saw it in the theaters.

I remember when your cousin (well, your second cousin) Myles was your age. Toy Story 2 had just come out and he was Woody. His mom even took him to get studio portraits in his Woody costume. I know your buddy Andrew loves Lightning McQueen. The first Cars movie came out the year he was born. My philosophy has always been toward less commercialization. I don't dress you and your sister in cartoon character shirts. Your rooms have interesting colors and patterns, not merchandise. But in all of that, which I still agree is a better way, I want to remember the trends around you when you were little. Sleeping Beauty, or Belle, or Ariel may be your sister's favorite princesses, but Rapunzel will always be the one that came out when your sister was starting her "princess" phase.

I don't know if you are going to identify with the cars from Cars 2 or not. But I know a lot of your peers will. So I took you to the movie with one of your peers.

And it's okay that you and he ran up and down the isles. It's okay that he had to leave early. It's even okay that you poured sprite all over me.

It was the experience I wanted to give you. Because either this movie or one of the next few you see will be the first one you remember as the movie of your childhood. And I was there, all sticky with sprite, being fed cold popcorn, watching it with you.

Love,
Mom

1 comment:

  1. The movie I think of as the movie of my childhood is Annie. It came out in 1982, so I would have been 7. I'm sure I must have seen movies before that one, but Annie is the one that stuck with me. It could have been because after the video came out that I must have watched it at least 100 times. My mom still doesn't really like the movie.

    ReplyDelete