Friday, July 15, 2011

Fun Friday: Arts and Crafts Day

Dear Jack,

Friday was Arts and Crafts day. We invited a couple of my friends from school and their sons. It was nice to have new friends over. My friend Rebecca and I kept laughing, though, because you and her son, Ryan, kept gravitating to things other than arts and crafts. On the one hand, the real goal was to have a fun day and you guys were having a lot of fun together, on the other hand, it was "Arts and Crafts Day" and I wanted to do some arts and crafts.

Happily, once the glue and paint came out, you guys were convinced to sit and participate, at least for a while.

I was very impressed with how well you managed the glue in particular. In the past, I have placed the dots of glue for you and let you put the items on the dots. This time, I let you handle the glue bottle all on your own and you did an excellent job of putting small dots of glue well spaced on your project.

You and Ryan both preferred the paint, though, to any other of the arts of crafts activities that you got to do during our play date.

After our friends left, you took a nap and magically, when your nap was over, there was a castle in our playroom. (Well, not so magically if you knew how hard your sister and I had worked while you slept.)

I made many figurines from wooden peg people and you loved them all, though the knights with their swords and spears are by far your favorites.

Your sister and I both kept on you about playing with the castle. It was cute to hear Sydney tell you, "Jack! Be careful. Mom and I put a lot into that!" It's true.

But really, for a two year old, you are amazingly careful with our crafty castle.

I keep thinking, though, if this is what your sister and I can create this summer while you nap, what will we be able to come up with in a year or two when you are old enough to actually help us and not just play with the finished result?

I can't wait.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment