Saturday, January 29, 2011

Love You Forever

Dear Jack,

There is this book, called Love You Forever which I always found a little creepy. It's about a mother who would sneak into her son's room and rock him in his sleep singing this song "I love you forever. I'll like you for always. As long as I'm living, my baby you'll be."

What's creepy about that? Well, in the book, she continues to sneak into his bedroom as he is a school aged-boy, and then is in high school, then college, and then on his own. Creepy.

Having a son, though, I now understand some of the sentiment.

Will it ever be anything but pure joy, seeing you asleep?

I will love you forever. I will like you for always. As long as I'm living, my baby you'll be.

But I will never sneak into your dorm room to rock you.

Love,
Mom

4 comments:

  1. You're right that book sound creepy. Good to hear you've set normal limits on it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom just told me she read this book too. And she agreed it creeped her out too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know. That book always did have a little edge of creepy boundariless parent to it, especially when one lives with parents with boundary issues. I decided not to have it in our home. But I used to love to read it when my siblings were little, because to little kids it's just funny, the thought of a mama rocking her grown-up son. We used to rock and sing the rhyme each time it came up, laughing. I guess if I kept my sense of humor about it, it would even be okay to read to Pip. He would think it was funny, too, I bet, since he knows we won't really sneak into his room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and that is a precious picture of Jack. They are so freaking cuddly when they are small like this. Time to get the snuggles in.

    ReplyDelete