Sunday, June 5, 2011

Mommy Bloggers

Dear Jack,

In the new millennium, sometime around 2004, blogs became a thing to do. And in the years that followed, they became a more and more popular thing to do. By now, there are mommy blogger conventions and a handful of very lucky mamas get to make a lot of money writing their blogs. Mostly, though, I think moms blog because they like writing about their kids; they want to keep family connected; and it's a sort of virtual scrapbook.

At least I think those are the three main reasons why I blog about you and your sister and I think it's the reason my friends who blog, um, blog. (And I do mean "my friends who blog" not "my blogging friends" because it's more that I have these friends and we have a common hobby.)

Today my two best friends who blog (who are also blogging friends) got to meet each other, and it was a neat thing.

Summer had come to visit from out of state and so Mrs. Hazen came over to meet her.

You and your sister enjoyed playing with all of the kids.

Mostly, though, you liked that both Summer's son and Peter Hazen were willing to ride around in your jeep with you.

They even helped you to gas it up when you needed them to.

I love having a son. (And yes, I love having a daughter, too, but this is your blog, not your sister's.)

I told my friends a long time ago that having a son was falling in love with his father all over again. Having a son is sweet and tender and hugs and kisses. Having a son is realizing what a gift your mother-in-law has given you because holding your newborn son, you just feel that no woman will ever be good enough for this sweet little baby boy and yet you know that just like the woman before you, someday you will have to pass him along. Having a son is like nothing else in the world.

And so it was particularly special to me to get to see my friends with their own special boys as I watched you play. Three mommy bloggers each with their own perfect pairs, a boy and a girl each, playing and having a good time. You, looking like the most handsome and special-est boy of them all; knowing that those other two mamas felt the very same way about their sweet boys made me so happy.

Maybe that's why we all have blogs. Because we want to celebrate the love we have for our children. And honestly, teaching at the school I teach at, knowing the families I know, not all the boys and girls in the world are as lucky as the six that were playing at my house this Sunday afternoon. I'm so glad for the friends I have and the mothers they are.

Love,
Mom

2 comments:

  1. And I'm glad for the blogging that I get to share in it too, even though I can't get there.

    ReplyDelete