Friday, June 10, 2011

First Cousins, Once Removed

Dear Jack,

While we were in Houston, you had a chance to see your first cousins, once removed. That's right, we went over to the Langs.

Your Great Aunt Jennie Sue knows boys pretty well at this point. (She actually said, having eight, that if she doesn't, there's a problem!) So when she knew you were coming, she made a point to have the great big fire truck out and saved the box from her new glider rocker, just for you.

You enjoyed these treats quite a bit, but I think your favorite part of Aunt Jennie Sue's house was Noah. You don't say a lot of names right now. You call your sister "Sid-see" and you call your dad and me by name of course. You recently learned Mrs. Ford by calling her "my Ford" (to distinguish from that other Ford who comes with her, I suppose) and that's about it. You learned "No-wah" very quickly, though. You followed him all around the house and he happily played with you.

I encourage you and your sister to think of Noah as a cousin.... he is ten right now and of an age with your other older first cousins. His oldest brothers, though, I teach you and your sister to call "uncle." With Uncle Dave, for example, that's an easy distinction. His own little girl is less than two years younger than you, so it makes sense to call him "uncle." I feel like the same applies for the twenty-something brothers, Uncle Ben and Uncle Joe. Noah's teenage brothers, though, I'm not sure how to have you address them. John wasn't there to ask, but Pete was. His solution? He would like to be your cunkle. You know, your "cousin slash uncle." I thought that was perfect. Cunkle Pete.

Uncle Joe spent a good portion of the visit preparing a special treat. He said it was a little skit about Jesus's last hours and I have to say, I was intrigued. He carefully drew out one hundred circles and wrote the numbers 1 to 100 on them, saying they were gold coins of a sort. He wanted them to stand in for the 20 pieces of silver because, as he pointed out, you don't really know how much 20 pieces of silver was worth back then and what it would be worth now. It was kind of like inflation, I suppose.

When Uncle Ben came downstairs and was available to watch you go up and down the stairs (your other favorite thing to do at Aunt Jennie Sue's house), Uncle Joe put on his skit, which he gave me permission to video.



I was absolutely delighted by the show. Joe put so much effort into the props and he told the story so well. I felt incredibly special as I realized that he was creating this little entertainment for me. It had a Victorian feel... transporting me back to the days when family traveled from afar it would have been expected to entertain them using time and talents, not restaurants or videos.

I have missed Joe and your other first cousins, once removed. During those first years with you and your sister, I had less time than I wanted to give to all of them. But now that the two of you are older and there are uncles and cousins and cunkles a plenty to entertain you, I was so happy to get to go back and be their big cousin, just like I used to.

Love,
Mom

2 comments:

  1. The ending with "You know your dad's asleep" to the extra loud rooster crowing was pretty funny. But the repeated bread eating and a drink and "Not I" were pretty great as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe is quite the character. I'm glad you liked his show.

    ReplyDelete