Today I took you and your sister, along with the Hazens, to Southwestern University for a picnic.
I love being able to revisit my old college campus with you and your sister. I love that somehow, in the fabric of your early childhood memories, I am weaving in the notion of higher education and providing a link to your mother's past.
I also just love having a picnic. It always seemed like such a romantic notion, the picnic. Your dad and I got this picnic basket as a wedding present and have loved having it.
We packed a breakfast picnic of waffles, pancakes, fruit and cheese and Capri Sun drinks. You enjoyed most of the spread, but the "juice" was your favorite.
You also just enjoyed playing with your sister and running around on the expansive green lawn which reasons I never understood is called the Academic Mall.
The joy that I thought was the purest, and in many ways the funniest, was one that only a Hill Country baby could find as appealing as you did: walking around in your bare feet. Unlike the St. Augustine grass of the Houston area I grew up in, the grass that grows native to this area is coarse and often has stick burs. As a result, you never get to walk around barefoot outside. Southwestern imports their grass and maintains the grounds very well, giving a soft lush foot-friendly outdoor carpet of grass.
Of all of the experiences you have had this summer, I think this one was one of your favorites: it was outdoors, which you love, had food, sugary drinks, and lots and lots of fun textures to explore.
I was glad to take you and look forward to our next picnic.
Love,
Mom
No comments:
Post a Comment