Thursday, July 8, 2010

First Day of Daycare

Dear Jack,

You started your new daycare today. I took you in early this morning, around 7:15, just like I would on a regular school day.

You and your sister ate some breakfast. Well, she ate breakfast, you ate second breakfast.

Then you played in your new room, eating some of the toys. This week is "American Idol" week and the big kids are using the karaoke machine. You little guys got the inflatable guitar and microphone to play with.

Then you had your morning snack and went back in the room to play until lunch at eleven and then a nap.

You are asleep right now, which is why I am home writing to you because other than this time of being unconscious, you have not wanted me to leave for a minute.

I sat with you for breakfast and playtime. I left at snack, which was sort of alright, for about fifteen minutes at which point you remembered I wasn't there and started crying again. I left to go to the bathroom and you howled. I left to see your sister eat her lunch and you screamed.

It has not been an easy day, but I know you will learn to like your new place. I knew it as I watched your teacher, Ms. Rosemary sitting on the floor next to your nap mat, patting your back at the exact rhythm and force that soothes you best.

I'm headed back out now, to return in time for you to wake up from your nap and then we'll spend the rest of the day at day care together. We'll probably do it this way again next Thursday.

Your dad thought it was great for me that you were going to day care today. He asked me what I was going to do with my day off.

Spend it with you seems to be the answer.

And that's just fine.

Love,
Mom

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow - hysterical! I think it's great the Jack wants you around so much.

    And the "what are you going to do with your day off" question for some reason reminds me of the old joke about the man who came home from work one day to find toys strewn across the lawn, one kid digging a giant hole in the middle of the lawn, the front door wide open, the TV on to a channel the kids weren't allowed to watch, the door to the fridge open, crumbs all over the floor, finger paint and crayons on the wall, the baby wailing, another kid busily painting the dog...and down the hall, his wife, still in her pajamas, in the bedroom with the door closed, reading a book.

    "What's going on here!" The man exclaimed.

    She calmly looked at him and said "You know how you come home every day from work and ask me 'What on earth do you DO all day?' Well, today, I didn't."

    And I completely know that's not what Jeremy meant, but it popped in my head and I knew you would appreciate the humor.

    ReplyDelete