Friday, March 18, 2011

Picture Taking is Crazy

Dear Jack,

This is why we went to the park today: to get this picture of you and your sister and Peter and Danielle Hazen all in your matching outfits.

But in the process of getting that picture, I did many things that you had a hard time understanding.

1. I took you and your sister to a park, with a lake and then fussed at you every time you got close to the water.

2. I put colorful oblong balls in the grass next to you and tried to keep you from hoarding them all.

3. I took you to a bridge and then told you to walk away from me. And then walk back. And then walk away from me. And then walk back. And then walk away from me. And then, well, then I don't even blame you for deciding not to bother coming back.

But the very worst thing I did to you today was this.

4. I put you in my friend, Mrs. Hazen's stroller to make going to and from the bridge easier and did not immediately understand that you might perceive this as being given away.

Have I ever mentioned that you actually roll your eyes when you are particularly unhappy with me? This is quite literally the moment after I said, "Jack! Say cheese!"

There was another moment just after that when I once again said, "Jack! Say cheese!" and you responded, "No cheese!" Fortunately your memory is short and my patience long, and I got the picture that shows off my sweet, sweet boy.

And I promise, the next time we see water, you can splash in it; the next time you see Easter eggs, you will be expected to gather them up; the next time we come to a bridge we will cross it twice at most; and most importantly, I would never ever put you in a stroller and let someone take you away from me.

I love you, son. Thanks for taking pictures for your mama even though the process was most illogical. And I completely understand why you just couldn't keep it together the rest of the afternoon.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment