Saturday, November 20, 2010

Renaissance Fair

Dear Jack,

Your dad and I met at a late night D&D session.

It's true.

Your dad played this game called Dungeons and Dragons and I knew some of the guys he played with and one day I poked my head in to see what all of the fuss was about. On my way out, I made some crack about the testosterone level in the room and your dad said, "Girls can play, too, you know." And that was that.

So really, the idea that we had never been to something as deliciously nerdy and D&D-like as RenFair is amazing to me. Thinking it was high time we rectified that situation, we took you and your sister this year.

And because we are the nerdy folks that we are, you and your sister just happened to have princess and knight costume accessories in the closet.

I was glad that I thought to bring your breastplate because your sister is mighty handy with that short short/dagger. Don't worry, though, the fight was not the least bit one sided. When your sister decided to play that you had gotten her and fell to the ground in a grand dramatic gesture, you took up your dagger and gave her a final crack to the sternum. That'll show her, right?

I think your very favorite part of RenFair, though, was the same as mine.

Where else do people walk around with large racks of soft pretzels, just waiting to sell you one.

Or two.

Or four.

Love,
Mom

2 comments:

  1. Wow. That looks so fun. And now I want a pretzel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehehe, that's great. I missed you while you were traveling.

    ReplyDelete