We have been so busy lately that I haven't really taken the time to talk about what you have been interested in.
You are currently in your texture-seeking phase. You love to play with the little rocks and shells that I put together for your sister when she was in this same phase.
One day, though, you were asking for some of the beans in the pantry and I thought, "why not?" Sadly, your dad came home a little early that day and I found out why not. It turns out that although I think of them as an art supply, beans can actually be cooked and some people like to have them for dinner.Also, if you are going to do something like play with dry beans, you should leave some extra time to sweep up before your dad gets home, sees the mess and has to ask, "What's going on here?" Because "we wanted to play with beans" doesn't sound as convincing when you have to say it out loud.
I'm glad your dad got over it, though, because a few nights later I found another fabulous find in the pantry: penne pasta. Do you know what you can do with penne pasta?That's right: string it on pipe cleaners and pull it off again.
Well, you can't string it, but your sister can and you can pull it off. What fun! What great fine motor development! What a neat feel in your fingers!
What about dinner?
Your dad says we can have baked pasta next week, after he goes back to the grocery store. He also said, in case I was eying the rice, that he wanted to make stir fry tomorrow night.
In addition to texture play, you have been very much into play eating (which you also do during texture play, I might add). I love this stage because it means that tea parties are happening with increased regularity around our house. In fact, it's one of the few games that you and your sister can actually play together right now and how fun is that?
So much fun that the other day while we were playing outside, I offered to let the two of you "tea party" with your lunch, serving it outside on the tea party table.
And last, but not least, the bit about turkey...Your daycare does an annual Thanksgiving Program where each class does a presentation. Your teacher boldly sang a couple of songs with you and your other little toddler friends standing/sitting/crawling/crying next to her while wearing/tearing off/eating turkey hats. Too cute!
And yes, I found you an actual toddler suit. It's Janie and Jack. I found it at the consignment shop for $12. I'm hoping it fits through Easter.Love,
Mom
How cute! That's a great consignment shop if they have Janie and Jack for that price.
ReplyDeleteI like the texture trays idea. I guess we are doing something similar but with cloth, letting Pemberley play with as many textures of cloth as we find. Pip has stones to find in his sand table, but they are more for vision than texture for him.