Friday, November 26, 2010

The Best Longest Day Ever

Dear Jack,

There is this thing called "Black Friday." It's the day after Thanksgiving and all of the stores have crazy sales and people all over the country go out and buy things. Back when I was little, my mother and my Aunt Jennie Sue would get up around four in the morning to go to the mall to stand outside of KB toys, which opened at 5AM and had really good deals. The way they talked, the line wrapped around the store and there was even a line to get into the store. How crazy is that?

Well, about the new millennium, stores decided that 5AM wasn't early enough and some store started opening at midnight. The outlet mall near us first did that about five or six years ago. This year, though, I noticed that apparently Black Friday is creeping further into Thursday and Garden Ridge and Michael's and some other stores were actually open on Thanksgiving Day.

Anyway, this year, I thought I would get out at midnight and go to the outlet mall. It's fun and there really are great deals to be had. Your dad thought it was all foolishness and said it wasn't worth it.

I left the house around eleven and didn't come home until four thirty in the morning.

I know your dad stirred when I got into bed around six, but he didn't really wake up until after seven. When he did, this is what he saw:

That would be a Kitchen Aide Profession Stand Mixer... this would be the receipt...

To put it in perspective, the same item is on sale on Amazon.com today, Black Friday, for $323.99, with a $50 rebate. It normally sells for $499.99.

Was it worth it, I asked your dad, for me to stay out all night shopping?

Yes!!! He said.

Then, after about four hours of sleep, I woke up and went out to Michael's (because I hadn't realized they were open on Thanksgiving Day because who would have thought) to use my 25% off everything coupon to get an absurd number of crafty things.

After Michael's, I got you and your sister dressed in the clothes that I stood in line at Children's Place for an hour to get (well, really I just got the red turtle neck and tights for your sister; the jumper oddly is a gift from one of my former students and then I got the button down shirt for you; the pants I already had and the sweater is from Osh Kosh at three thirty in the morning when for some reason, the lines were all gone). We took Christmas pictures -- and this one is not the official one. You guys were just so cute that I actually got many great pictures and got to chose the best of the best.

Then we went home and got undressed, at which point your sister announced her desire to dress up like Snow White and so I offered you your clown costume, the only part of which you wanted was the pants. Clown pants!

So, the day after Thanksgiving, dressed in half of your Halloween costume, you decorated a Christmas tree. Then it was bath and into new Christmas jammies and time for hot coco (or chocolate milk) and your father reading the Christmas story from the book of Luke.

And I stayed up long after you went to bed, typing up this letter for you, so you would know what a wonderful (and very, very long) day we had.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment