A Texas snowstorm is a rare thing. The first time I saw the ground covered with snow was in college. I built my first snowman today as a mother in her thirties.
And yet, at nine months old, you have seen actual snow two times already.
The first was at your Uncle James' funeral. I will never forget the magic of that snow, falling from heaven to blanket our souls.
The second was today.
It meant a lot to me to be given a second chance to make snow memories with you and your sister. To not have the snow the day of a funeral, no matter how beautiful it was, to be the only early childhood memory of snow with the two of you.So I thank God that He gave us another chance. We have added to the bittersweet memory of a snow gift on a sorrowful day the memory of childish whimsy and joy.
Because life is like that. Good memories tacked on to sad ones. Joy following grief. And it is the hope of the former that gets us through the latter.
A Texas snowstorm is a rare thing. And losing your Uncle James so suddenly only confirms for me that we should take each day as a gift and when a spectacularly beautiful like today comes along, we should stop and enjoy it.
I'm grateful that I was able to do that with you, your sister and your dad today.
Love,
Mom
beautiful...
ReplyDelete