Monday, March 8, 2010

The Feel of a Good Book

Dear Jack,

There are about a million philosophies of parenting, and I agree with at least two or three of them.

One of my philosophies is that most of the irritating and troublesome things that babies and young toddlers do are really them trying to explore their environment. By the time you are two or three, I will expect you to have learned enough about your world to leave parts of it alone. For now, though, I prefer the method where I change the environment to be more Jack-friendly.



So when you showed me over and over (and over) again, that you loved to pull books off of this bookcase and nom on them, I pulled all of mine off and put your board books on. I think the feel of pulling a book off of a shelf is a neat one, too, and I want you to have positive associations with that feeling and get to enjoy it.

Just not with my Harry Potters.

Love,
Mom

3 comments:

  1. P.S. If you feel like Jack's nose looks a little yellow, that would be all of the squash and sweet potatoes he eats. yup. Enough to yellow him a bit. Doc says it's not a problem, just funny to note.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if it is the books or what, but he looks so much older in this picture!

    ReplyDelete