Saturday, December 10, 2011

Sick Boy

Dear John,

You have been well for so long that I almost forgot about last winter and how you can come down with something at the drop of a hat and stay sick for a week at a time.  I guess I knew winter would bring more illness, and I guess if I had to pick, getting sick after all of the family time at the end of November and yet before all of the family time at the end of December was the way to go.

We had plans to go to downtown Round Rock for their Christmas activities.  We had reservations at our favorite downtown restaurant and I was looking for parking when you announced your tongue hurt.  Your dad turned to ask what that meant and you threw up all over the backseat.

You continued to be sick for the next seven hours.  It was a heck of an evening and into the night, made all the more challenging when at two in the morning, just as you finished up your heaving, your sister started throwing up.

I was touched, though, that as you were sick, you looked for your sister to comfort you.
I decided to pull your mattress into the playroom so you could lay and watch movies on the big television. Your dad thought this was a little pointless because he didn't think you would actually lay there.  I guess I know my boy, though, because as soon as I put the mattress down, you went to get your blanket.
You and I spent the night on that mattress, watching your Oceans movie.  Your sister and your dad, although both of them weren't feeling well either, staying in their own beds.  I guess it hadn't occurred to me that no everyone likes to move to sleeping in the common areas of the house when they are sick but it's what I prefer, and I guess that's just one more way you are like your mama, my sweet, sick boy.
Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment