Monday, May 30, 2011

Because I Asked

Dear Jack,

I know there are many kinds of sons in the world. But I want you to know that I have this very clear vision of you as the son who will do just about anything for his mama.

I blame your dad, your uncles, and well, just about all of the Nolen men for this vision I have of future you.

See, they all do things for me just because I have asked, and I love them for it.

Sunday, night, for example, I asked your Uncle Jonathan and your dad to play Legos with your sister, you, and me.

I had to actually work to convince your dad this was a good plan, but your Uncle Jonathan didn't even flinch. Once he knew I wanted it, he got himself in the mindset that it could be fun and voilla, it was!

Your dad came along quickly enough and made a very fine fort by the end of the evening.

Uncle Jonathan made a space craft.

He apparently wanted a few back-up engines on it.

But the fact of the matter is that neither of them walked around the house and said to themselves, "I know, let's play Legos." But when I asked, they both not only did it, but they had fun in spite of themselves.

Because they love me.

So that's what I'm expecting from you. Be the kind of man who plays Legos because his mama says it's important. It's a strange request, true, but sometimes it's the strange little things that really make a mama happy.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment