Friday, August 27, 2010

Who Went Up the Hill?

Dear Jack,

People are starting to ask if I named you Jack just to enjoy the many, many plays on words available.

It's not quite the case, but I do remember my love of the name "Jack" as a nickname for "John" starting when I was a little girl and my dad would read me nursery rhymes and explained this idea of changing "John" into "Jack" and I was fascinated. So I guess, in a way, I did name you Jack because of its many nursery rhyme references.

But it wasn't until after you were born that I realized what fun I could have with the associations.

Most recently, I made new wall art for your room by cutting some of the "Jack" rhymes out of an old Mother Goose book.

Jack Be Nimble

Little Jack Horner

And one I had never seen before but liked:

"Jacky come give me your fiddle,
If you ever mean to thrive."
"Nay, I'll not give my fiddle,
To any man alive."

"If I should give my fiddle,
They'll think that I've gone mad.
For many a joyful day,
My fiddle and I have had."

There were many more to chose from, of course, but those are the three on your wall right now.

At least until you are old enough to put a stop to this Jack nonsense yourself.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment