Sunday, August 15, 2010

Rite of Passage

Dear Jack,

I am still a little angry with your dad right now. I know I shouldn't be and that it's not his fault, but I can't help it.

What he did yesterday is still upsetting to me every time I think about it.

He says he had to do it.

He says it needed to be done three months ago.

He says I should be grateful he took care of things.

He says he thought I would be pleased.

He was wrong.

And if I had been home at the time, I never would have let him go through with it.

He says that's why he took care of it without me.

Part of me knows he's right and that I married him in part because he can take care of the unpleasant things in life that I just won't handle.

But why, why, why did he have to cut your beautiful baby hair?

He turned you into a little boy.

He says you are a little boy.

I say that you should still be my sweet little baby.

He says that's why little boys have daddies... to help them grow up when their mamas want them to stay little.

I guess he's right, but I'm still a little sad inside.

Love,
Mom

3 comments:

  1. Pip was about 20 months old and universally mistaken for a girl before I sucked it up and cut off his lovely baby curls. I totally get it. Did he at least save a lock for you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, no. Jeremy did not understand that this was any more than a utilitarian moment of necessity. I have the picture and that's going to have to be good enough. Thanks for the empathy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sad! I'm sure I'll feel the same when Jed has hair to cut. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete