Saturday, April 10, 2010

Making it Work

Dear Jack,

Having two children at different stages in life is hard. It was hard last summer and I'm sure it won't be easy this summer either. Your sister is becoming more and more independent and likes to go and do things and you are just learning mobility and need time to explore and help staying safe.

I think that as a parent, I have only two choices here. I can keep your sister in places that work for you, or I can make the places your sister wants to be work for you.

I chose the latter. It just seems more fair to allow her to continue to do what she needs and as a bonus, you have a lot more exposure to things than you otherwise would.

Things like grass and dirt and leaves, for example, while playing in the backyard in your new play yard.

I was so excited to find this for you. For now, it keeps you contained, and even once it stops serving that purpose, it's still a cool climbing structure for a toddler and your sister even thinks it's neat to sit in the middle and play for a while. You had toys and I brought shade over to you. I weeded the gravel and your sister played with her sink. Everyone wins.

Love,
Mom


4 comments:

  1. that is the coolest baby jail ever! is it made of foam or hollow plastic? I'm guessing this was a craigslist find...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool enclosure! I've never seen anything like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is super cool. It's thick plastic -- Jeremy can sit on the edge and Sydney can climb, run, jump all over it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have just explained - in a nutshell - why younger children grow up faster than first-born children!

    ReplyDelete