Sunday, April 4, 2010

Happy Easter

Dear Jack,

Today was your first Easter. I think you really did enjoy it. There were plastic eggs to bang together. Each one had frosted cheerios inside which was tasty. You got to play outside quite a bit and all the attention from the grandmas and grandpas at church over how cute you looked in your Easter clothes was nice as well.

What I wonder is when you will be old enough to appreciate Easter.

Then I wonder when I will be old enough to appreciate it.

Some days I think I get it. Jesus died for our sins. He was crucified and buried. On the third day he rose from the dead. We say these words all the time in the affirmation of faith. But today I was thinking for the first time about the oneness of the trinity. I always want it to be God's Son on the crucifix. I find the image of the sacrificing of the Son to be powerful as it is. But today I thought about the idea that God Himself was on the cross. He humbled himself as a servant and consented to being put to death for our sins.

How can I, who am still having revelations myself in my thirties, expect you or your sister to get much of anything out of Easter? The answer comes to me like this: I can't even give full atonement for my own sins. I have to count on Christ for that. So in this I trust the Lord, as well.

That through His infinite wisdom and divine planning, that He knows the way to your heart, mind and soul. That He will use me and others in your life as instruments to point the way for you.

That I can give you all the plastic eggs in the world and it will never teach you a thing without His intercession and with Him, anything can be made to a way of understanding.

So that is my Easter prayer for you, son, that all of the hype around this Holy Day never distract you from the true meaning of Easter and that God find the way to your heart and lead you to belief.

For as much as I love you, sweet boy, God loves you more.

Love,
Mom

1 comment: