Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Weathering the Storm

Dear Jack,

Today at school, someone was commenting on my particularly challenging class this year. Last year, I had nine sweet children and teaching was a breeze. This year, I have my hands more than full with the twenty-one children in my room.

I told that person that I truly believe that when life is easy (like it was for me last year), it means that God is giving you a calm before the storm. I was so scared during the pregnancy that you were going to be my storm. That something was going to be physically or medically wrong with you.

So when this person said they were amazed at how happy I seem to be at work, I told her that I am happy. I love my students... even (especially) the difficult ones and every day I come to school, I thank God that I have a happy, healthy baby at home and that they only storm I have to weather daily is some troubled students at school.

Of course, I didn't really get into it with my co-worker that weathering the storm of losing your Uncle James and now having my friend Kara hospitalized in critical condition is a little different. Still, I have you, and your sister and your father and that makes up for so much. Not to mention all of my friends who offer their support in so many ways.

And weathering a storm is so much easier when you have the right people with you.

Especially when your people are this cute.

Love,
Mom

6 comments:

  1. That people, or person, rather, IS VERY cute. So adorable. I'm glad you're finding the calm spots with all that's going on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the space onesie, but we haven't found them here yet. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Summer. You have such an eye for detail. Yes, that was the very onesie that prompted the frantic call to you: Get to Carter's!!! They have Sci-Fi baby clothes!!!

    So sorry your Carter's has not come through for you. What size is Pip wearing these days?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is too cute.

    I am happy that you can have such an appreciation for the good things even amonst the storm.

    Plus I think you have always like the problem kids, this year you just have a few more of them at once.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I LOVE the "problem" kids. I just hate when I can't fix all the problems.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Believe me! They will remember your love for them even with their "problem"

    ReplyDelete