Sunday, September 20, 2009

Yelling at Babies?

Dear Jack,

As a general rule, I don't think adults should yell at children. There are exceptions, of course: fire, walking into busy streets, juggling knives, mostly safety issues.

Also as a general rule, I think most of those exceptions don't really apply to babies. Who ever needed to yell at a baby for going into the street? In fact, I really couldn't think of a single reason why an adult should yell at a baby. Ever.

Then you bit me.

You may not have teeth, son, but wow that hurt.

I yelled. You stopped.

Let's not do that again, okay?

Love,
Mom

4 comments:

  1. A yell like that actually goes a long way in the prevention of further biting! Cody nursed until he was 23 1/2 months . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had heard that a sharp yell was the way to go in that situation. I'm glad to have confirmation. I don't know if this nursing business will survive the coming of teeth... I do hate pain. A lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK I have to agree... this is the one thing that you can yell at an infant for.

    I suspect he may be teething... oh boy!

    ReplyDelete