Thursday, May 28, 2009

More on Weigh Gain

Dear Jack,

We just got back from the doctor's office. Over the six days, you have only gained two ounces. Apparently, a better weight gain would be an ounce a day. I knew switching you from formula supplements to strictly nursing might slow down your weight gain, at least initially. So, on the one hand, this was expected and you are still on target to regain your birth weight by the time you are two weeks old. On the other hand, it means we have to go in for another weight check next week to make sure that you are gaining appropriately. Which means I have another week of worrying over your eating habits and some good old fashioned mother's guilt over not having fattening enough milk (as if there is such a thing, and if there is, as if it is somehow under my control).

I know from having this struggle for over two months with your sister that 1) this too shall pass, 2) a slow start has nothing to do with future health, 3) it is possible to pump enough milk to sustain you and bottle feed you if needed, if that really matters to me, 4) feeding a baby formula is not the end of the world; it can just feel like it. I also know that when you are twelve or so and your father is having to make double batches of his King Ranch Casserole so that you can have your very casserole own to eat, I will laugh at the idea that there was a day when you didn't eat enough. But for right now, it's a little bit hard.

So, let's just do the best we can and see where we are in a week.

Love,
Mom

3 comments:

  1. It is a Nolen family specialty. Every Nolen makes it a little bit differently and the recipe serves, as Jeremy would tell you, a family of six, or two Nolen men. It involves chicken, cheese, tortillas, and a whole bunch of other stuff. If you actually think you would like to make it, Jeremy can e-mail you the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like chicken, cheese and tortillas, ask him to send away. :-) BTW, I love that 9 Days old picture at the bottom of page on the right.

    ReplyDelete