Monday, January 21, 2013

On Being Three (and a Science Center)

Dear John,

Saturday was a pretty typical day for you.  There was a birthday party for Danielle Hazen, but you didn't get to go because of an event on Friday (spitting at your mother is an event, not just an error).  You made the most of it and did well Saturday morning (because of the threat that you would not be allowed out of your room during your Gram's visit).  Then, having set yourself to having a good day, became absolutely adorable.

I have many, many people in my life right now trying to convince me that this is just a day in the life of a 3 year old and that this too, shall pass.  I am waiting for you to convince me by turning four and putting these random moments of insanity (really, spitting?!?, why in the world would you spit on your mother!?!) aside for more reasonable displays of irritation.

In any case, I brought home an "I Spy" bottle for you and you loved it.  It reminded you of the science center at school and in "Give a Mouse a Cookie" fashion, I gave you a bottle and you asked for a science center to go with it.

And even as I am aghast when you act out in extreme ways, I am simultaneously unimpressed when you show extreme curiosity, innovation, and intelligence.  I supposed the one may go with the other and if I am going to be blow away by your negative behaviors, I should pay closer attention to your positive ones... and you have so very many, my very, very smart boy.

I made you a Science Center right away, mostly because I could and you spent the rest of the evening engaged, by yourself, in the act of transferring fake snow from one container to another, hiding objects and finding them again, and in general, being a scientist.
the "I Spy" bottles are on the window sill, along with your non-fiction books

On the wall, I put up the chart from How Deep is the Ocean, which Mrs. Hazen bought for you.

Most of the supplies are from your sister's birthday party... when we mixed Chemical X in Professor Utonium's laboratory.

John being a scientist with his insta-snow.
I am impressed that you thought to ask for a Science Center.  I am impressed with the way you digest non-fiction books, looking through the pictures, asking for the captions to be read to you, remembering what the captions really say even a month or more later when I try to summarize to save myself some time.

I am impressed with your vocabulary and the way you explain things.  Today at the zoo, you told Mr. Hazen that your legs had sore in them and that drinking water (while sitting) made the sore go out of your legs and back into the ground.  But then when you walk around some more on the ground, the sore goes back into your legs.

I have seen you tell your sister how to do her homework... it was a page of "greater than" and "less than" and you were able to count the sets and compare them just a tiny bit quicker than she could.

I can tell you are so ready to read.  You want me to tell you signs and if there is enough of a picture, you will make a reasonable guess ("Flower Store" for a sign with a big magnolia on it) and love it when you can use environmental print ("that says 'Chick-a-lay' Mama, I read it").

In all of your Lego sets, although I have put together almost all of them, you were able, with only a small amount of fine motor help in pushing down small pieces, put together a small set that had six or seven steps to it.  You read the directions yourself and built it on your own.  The thing that keeps you from doing later sets is attention span... you are still three years old.

You really are a brilliant boy and I have to remember that the same things that make your little brain work so hard to figure out what signs say, what sea creatures are called, and whether four or six is greater, those same neurons are working furiously to figure out how to get away with things, how to establish autonomy and control, how to be three.

I guess I will have to resign myself: you are just an exceptional three year old.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment