Wednesday, March 14, 2012

John's Fav'rit

Dear John,

For months now, you have been telling me at random times, "I wan' go Sea World.  It's my fav'rit.  We go Sea World with Fords?"

Then your dad started talking about a Disney World vacation and I swear to your ears it's "Sea World" and "Dis Sea World" and you are so worried that we are going to mess up and take you to "dis" Sea World instead of the Sea World that is your favorite.  I know this because on the way to Sea World, your dad was talking Disney with Mr. Ford who has been much more recently than your dad and I and you kept saying from the back seat, "No we go Sea World today!  It's my fav'rit!"

Mrs. Ford pointed out that perhaps we should call that place in Florida "Disney" and not bother you with information about it on the way to Sea World.  She also pointed out that since Sea World is so much closer and more affordable that it's lucky it's your favorite and not the other.
You did have a wonderful time today.  You saw the Shamu show and told the trainer afterwards that Shamu is an orca and that's a kind of dolphin, which is true.
You fed the dolphins.  Which is you other fav'rit.
You played your fav'rit made up game in which you are Nemo and I tell you, over and over and over again not to touch that boat (which is whatever object you decide looks most like a boat near you) and then I tell you "If you put on foot on that boat..." and then you do and I make an angry face then we play it all over again. 

Can you tell that you are working out the difference between independence and defiance these days?
We rode rides.  I rode the carousel with you which was fun.
But then your dad rode the Shamu roller coaster, your very first roller coaster ride, with you and that was a lot more fun!
We stopped and took pictures with various costumed characters.
Your dad kept saying that this trip was a trial run for our summer trip to Disney and  so as he was gauging whether or not you and your sister could handle the pace and the physical exertion, I thought it was fair to make sure he could handle the sheer boredom that is standing in line for a picture with a guy in a plush costume.  (My challenge was having to ride that crazy Shamu coaster with your sister since your dad could only ride with one of you and both of you wanted to go.  It wasn't easy, but I made it.)  Happily we all made it.  Especially since I don't think your dad was joking about "family boot camp" if we all collapsed halfway through the day at Sea World.

We did learn to expect a slower pace and to leave time for the unexpected joys as you, your sister and little Sabrina all settled in at the Coral Reef for a solid hour.  You and Sabrina looking at fish and your sister hosting her own little Sea World show which you were somewhat involved in, when you weren't looking at fish or otherwise in your own world.
By the time I thought to get the video camera out, we had been in the aquarium for over forty-five minutes, so the excitement you are showing over the ray is really the level of enthusiasm you maintained for the entire visit.
As I was filming, I mistakenly thought you were part of your sister's orca show.  You explained yourself well, and really I should have noticed the mask you put on.  Regardless, since becoming the caped crusader is something you do often these days, Mrs. Ford found this image for you.
Batman is your other fav'rit right now.  And also Green Lantern.  And Flash.

I love you and your varied interests so much.  I love that you tried to do your own orca show in the aquarium, loudly announced "Ladies and Gentlemmmm" and then when you say that actual people were looking at you, you turned and hid your face in the wall of fish.  I know that's why you had to be Batman when the camera was on.  It was too much to have to be just John in that moment.  I get it.  I have had my own anxieties and understand yours all too well.
It was a wonderful day at Sea World.  I loved sharing it with you and I'm sure we'll go back at least two or three times this year, probably with the Fords.

After all, it's your fav'rit.

Love,
Mom

1 comment:

  1. He will love the aquarium at Epcot when you do go to Disney.

    ReplyDelete