Tuesday, December 28, 2010

My Happy Boy

Dear Jack,

This past week has been blissful for you. Your father and I are off work and we have kept you and your sister out of daycare to enjoy the time together.

During this last week, I have taken up crocheting, a hobby which you adore. I sit in my chair, a chair which I am becoming increasing convinced that you remember nursing in as you act like the moment I sit in it, you are by rights to sit with me.

Sometimes I do continue crocheting and you bring toys and play on my lap. Other times, you bring me a book to read, or we do a craft together. Many times we have watched your new Oceans movie. Your attention span for that movie amazes me. But mostly, we just sit. Reminding me that a mother is a place and I am yours, now as much as the nine (ten) months I carried you.

Your other joy this week has been your sister. Sydney has started "reading" to you by letting you look at books while she uses her TAG reader to read the book to you both. You love this process as much as she does and she is so very patient with you as you point to the pages and babble about the book with her.

The two of you have also had a fair amount of outside playtime this week as well. "'Side! 'Side" you say to me and your dad. Today it was rainy and we couldn't go 'side, but everywhere we went in the car, you pointed out the window excitedly, "'Side! 'Side!"

The other day, I used "insta snow" to let you and your sister have some fun outdoor play with pretend snow. You loved the feel of it and threw it on your sister and all over the ground.

You have been such a happy, happy boy this last week.

I forget, when you have been teething, or when you are off your routine, how breathtakingly joyful you can be when all is right with the world.

And this past week, all has been right.

Love,
Mom

2 comments:

  1. It is always nice when all is right with the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pip is the same when I sit down. Maybe he remembers me feeding him or toddler dance, or maybe he's just glad to have me near. I'm glad the mother as place insight has been meaningful to you. I feel as though children and mamas are enriched when their mothers know how much children need them to be a secure space.

    I'm really glad y'all have had this week to enjoy your happy boy!

    ReplyDelete